Go to Top

Fiancee Visa vs Spousal Visa

COMPARE: Fiancee Visa (K-1) and Spousal Visa (K-3)

Many of you are puzzled at this moment asking yourself all over again: Should I use K-1 visa and marry my love one in the United States or marry my love one in her home country and use K-3 visa (spousal visa)?

Every case is unique, so it is impossible to provide a blanket answer that would apply in every situation. Down below we tried to summarize advantages and disadvantages of both K-1 and K-3 visa processes. It is entirely up to you to choose which process to follow. We will be happy to assist you with either one!

Fiance(e) (K-1) Visa

You don’t need to marry immediately in your Fiance(e)’s country or the U.S.

You bring your loveone to the U.S. as your Fiancee, and both of you have 90 days to get married. This allows you both to get to know each other better and make a decision about whether you want to spend the rest of your lives together.

You deal nearly exclusively with the U.S. immigration system and U.S. immigration officials here, in the United States.

You avoid dealing with local foreign procedures of marriage in a foreign country in a foreign language.

Your fiancee has a chance to see the country and get familiar with U.S. customs and language before the marriage.

Your Fiance(e) needs to make a strong effort to convince the Immigration Officer at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in her home country, that you are both in love and are planning to get married upon her arrival in the U.S.

Close family and friends will NOT see your Fiance(e) get married in the U.S. unless they could manage to obtain another type of visa such as a tourist visa, which is hard to obtain.

Spousal Visa (K-3)

You are both together immediately. Your wife’s family and friends are able to attend your wedding without any delay, which is very important for Russian bride.

Local marriage in a foreign country can sometimes be accomplished in 10 days, or less.

Depending on the U.S. Consulate, the process could take much less time.

Since with a Spousal visa your wife gains U.S. legal residency immediately, future immigration work is substantially reduced. There is no need to file for the Adjustment of Status Application and wait for months during which time your wife cannot travel freely without obtaining travel parole every time she travels outside of the U.S.

Extensive supporting documentation is usually necessary of a U.S. Citizen to get married in a foreign country.

It is a two-step process, instead on one. First, you are required to submit a package for the Form I-130. And, second, upon USCIS Notice of Action, you would need to send I-129F Package. It takes time and a lot of patience from both of you.

This process is very document-sensitive which means that if you are missing a document, you may have to fly back to the U.S. in order to obtain a necessary document before process can be completed.

All your documents must be translated into the native language of that country where you are planning to get married. The translation much be certified with attached apostle.

Your might end up with more expenses for the marriage itself and Embassy visa processing charges and fees.

To find out more about these two processes, please, contact U.S. Embassy/Consulate at nearest your lovesome residency.