Go to Top

Australian Visa (Partner Visa)

The Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) allows you to live in Australia if you are the spouse or de facto partner of:

  • an Australian citizen
  • a permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 100). You lodge only one application for your temporary and permanent visas and pay one application charge. Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart.

You must be outside Australia when you apply and also when the Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is granted. You can be in or outside Australia when Partner visa (subclass 100) is granted.

Documents must be provided that will support your application for the Partner visa. The information provided will be used for determining the eligibility when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.​

Documents needed for Partner Visa

  • Passports;
  • Recent passport-sized photographs;
  • Official birth certificate;
  • If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change.

If you are unable to provide any of these documents, you must provide other acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be.

Other documents you need for your application

  • Marriage certificate;
  • Proof and evidence of your relationship
  • Financial statements.

Children or Dependents

  • Official birth certificates;
  • If any dependent child included in the application is adopted: certified copies of the adoption papers.
  • If you want to bring a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in the application, you will need documentary evidence that you have the legal right to bring that child to Australia
Note: This is not a complete list of the supporting documents you are required to submit.